Why is it necessary to add a GeoTag location on your website? The best usage of GeoTag location is in Local SEO. It helps in increasing your website ranking in a specific targeted location. If you are looking for its implementation and benefits of using GeoTag location then you’re at the right place. This article will add GeoTag Location in WordPress specifically because WordPress is the most widely used tool for website development. According to research, 80% of websites are developed on WordPress.
- How to Add Geo Tag Location
- Why add Geo Tag Location on the website?
Both parts of this article will give you great knowledge about Local SEO and let you know how important part you might miss.
How to add Geo Tag Location?
It’s very simple and easy to add GeoTag location on the website. Just follow the process step by step and the method will be implemented automatically. For the implementation of GeoTag location, you need to access the WordPress admin panel.
- Sign in WordPress panel and go to appearance >> Theme Editor. Here you will see the code files of your website theme.
- On the right side, you’ll see the list of all files of the website. Open header.php file because all the Meta tags are implemented in the head section of the website.
- Once you open the header.php file, you’ll see a code file on the left side. Find the head section (<head></head>) in the code.
- Write Geo-location tags in the <head> section. These tags will be:
- <meta name=”DC.title” content=”web development services in Canada” />
- <meta name=”geo.region” content=”CA-ON” />
- <meta name=”geo.placename” content=”Toronto” />
- <meta name=”geo.position” content=”61.022113;-107.775878″ />
- <meta name=”ICBM” content=”61.022113, -107.775878″ />
- Save your code and you are all done with your website’s Geo Tag location!
The first Meta tag is “DC.title”. It is a group called Dublin Core developed a kind of microformat for metadata. Prefix in the Meta name attribute, e.g. <meta name=“DC.title” content=”…”>, and there are about fifteen different options, so for the title, you could have a subject, language, and various other options.
The second Meta tag is “geo.region”. It defines the region of the website. Each country and its regions have a specific code. Here in the given tag code <meta name=”geo.region” content=”CA-ON” /> CA is the country code of Canada and ON is the regional code of Ontario. You can find and place the codes of the country and region where you want to rank up your website.
The third meta tag is “geo.placename”. It defines the city where you want to advertise your website. In this <meta name=”geo.placename” content=”Toronto” /> tag, the selected area is Toronto as it is written in “content” section.
In the fourth tag “geo.position” the exact location is mentioned according to the longitude and latitude. It is rare to have knowledge about the exact longitude and latitude that is why you can find it on the Google map, or any other map that helps in defining the exact longitude and latitude of an exact location.
The last Meta tag is ICBM which is ensuring that the given location with longitude and latitude is correct. You can ignore this one tag but including the ICBM tag will ensure your given location is correct in numerical calculations. Here <meta name=”ICBM” content=”61.022113, -107.775878″ /> you can see the mentioned longitude and latitude is accurate, because its matching with the “geo.position”.
Why add Geo Tag Location on the website?
Did you know that the most useful approach in SEO is local SEO? The reason behind local SEO is that more than 80% of businesses are running locally. So, if you add GeoTag location to your website, then it will be easy for search engines to understand where you want to rank up your website. But if you miss adding GeoTag location, you might miss a huge amount of customers.
You can consider it as the right way of local website SEO. If you ignore it then you’re implementing SEO in the wrong way. You can ask any question if you have in your mind regarding local SEO or Global SEO. I would love to answer you to the best of my knowledge.